Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The Homesman Review

Starring: Hilary Swank, Tommy Lee Jones, John Lithgow, Meryl Streep, James Spader
I saw this little movie called The Homesman. I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to see it, and was pretty adamant I wouldn't like it. I was actually prepared not to review it. While it was far from being a perfect movie, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The Homesman is set in the colonial Midwest, and tells the story of Mary Bee Cuddy, a depressed single woman looking for adventure, who agrees to transport three insane women across the prairie to a reverend in Iowa. Along the way she picks up a George Briggs, a criminal, and the two form a bond as well as a deep attachment to the women they are carrying.

I'm going to be honest and say that there isn't much that I have to say about this movie. While it is very good, and I enjoyed it, it's very standard. The best part for me was Hilary Swank's acting. As Mary Bee Cuddy, she was incredible. But when isn't Swank incredible?  She is rejected by every man for being too "plain and simple" as well as bossy, and for being too much like a man. She presents herself as this powerfully independent woman, but it's clear she has an inner struggle. It's evident that she deals with depression, and I won't spoil the movie's truly shocking twist, but her demons are a part of her until the movie's closing. I believe that that is why she cared so deeply for these crazy women. She volunteered to take them across the prairie, and obviously cares for them while Briggs is just in it for the money. I think she thought that doing it would help her own mental illness. Unfortunately it does not, and she finds herself pushed to the edge on her journey multiple times.

I thought Tommy Lee Jones was good as well. He actually directs the film, and he does a fine job behind the camera. The three crazy women are good at being insane. They don't really talk. One has lost all her children to diphtheria, one killed her child, and one is raped and suffers numerous self-abusive breakdowns. They don't communicate very well, but all are integral characters. Speaking of the characters, one of my problems was that I simply couldn't figure out who was who in the beginning. Everyone looked like each other, and the women weren't introduced very well. I think some things the director and crew might think would be clear to the audience, but I certainly didn't understand a lot of the first half hour. I enjoyed the film, but ultimately it's a forgettable period drama that doesn't necessarily resonate with you. I enjoyed it, but it only goes skin deep. During a period with many emotionally resonating films with superb casts, The Homesman becomes overlooked. If you enjoy period dramas, you'll like it. Don't get me wrong, I really liked it. But is it a must-see in theaters? Not in my opinion. Rent it on DVD and you will be rewarded with a surprisingly good film.

Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment