Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Interview Review

Starring: James Franco, Seth Rogen, Lizzy Caplan, Randall Park, Diana Bang
At this point, everyone knows what The Interview is. It's the movie that supposedly caused the Sony hack, which North Korea has been accused of, because of its content. It depicts the assassination of Supreme Leader Kim Jong-Un. A movie that was so shrouded in controversy, it was dropped by major theater chains, and only was received an extremely limited release. And a full release online. I know a lot of people are probably wondering what I have to say about The Interview. Do I lose my integrity by watching such a movie? But I'm going to give an honest review of The Interview. And I honestly thought it was hilarious, and one of the funniest movies I've seen. Overhyped? Yes, but in a way, it was worth it. But what happens when such comedic geniuses use their jokes in such bad taste? That is what this movie is. It's all in bad taste, but it's funny, and surprisingly has a good plot.
The Interview is the most blatantly racist movie I've ever seen, and probably will ever see in my life. But I laughed really hard. So while the movie is incredibly offensive, the question is: Did the creators achieve what they wanted with it? And the answer is no. Sony chairwoman Amy Pascal's contract expires in March. And while some of it is for comments she made in private emails that were leaked, a lot of it is because she was the one who approved the movie. Because at the end of the day, the creators want one thing, and that is money. And Amy Pascal just lost $80 million dollars that VOD won't buy her back. Yes it's funny, but it's never going to make her that money back, and will forever be remembered for this controversy.
The movie surprisingly has a plot that moves along at a good pace. I can't really call the script good, because most of the thoughts going through my head were all "What the heck?!" because random things happen. For instance, I'll never look at Katy Perry's "Firework" the same ever again, but it made me laugh like crazy. The actor playing Kim Jong-Un I'm familiar with, because he's on the show Veep, but he is insane. I don't think that's what Kim Jong-Un is really 100% like, but maybe he is? I don't know but whenever I think of him I'll probably think of this performance because Randall Park was really good. Seth Rogen and James Franco were both really funny as well. Franco definitely was a lot more important than Rogen, but Rogen also directed. I felt like he was sidelined a lot, aside from the awesome fight with a tiger he had, and Franco definitely had the spotlight.
I think that because this movie doesn't take it seriously, no one else can either. Yes, they kill Kim Jong-Un. In a very tasteless fashion. But they're not being serious. Problems only arise when you take things seriously. I absolutely understand why North Korea takes this seriously, because it's like if someone made a movie assassinating Obama. We'd be all over that. So while I understand North Korea's problem with the film being made, I don't think all this trouble should have been made. But that's because I honestly feel like everything would be better if it wasn't made. It was hilarious, but doesn't quite have the plot to feel like it was anything special. I've seen funny movies like Bridesmaids, Silver Linings Playbook, Horrible Bosses, and This is the End. All of those movies are absolutely hilarious, but also have really good characters, acting, scripts, and are just all-around great movies. The first two got nominated for Oscars! As a diehard movie fan, I think a studio should have better things to do than fund a movie that depicts the assassination of a living person. Think of what other movies could have been made! Yes it was funny, but this movie was a bad idea from the start.

So when I rate The Interview, I am going to be as serious as the movie is, because I don't want to anger anyone...so I'll be funny.

Enjoyment Rating:

Quality Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment