Friday, December 4, 2015

Creed Review

Starring: Michael B. Jordan, Sylvester Stallone, Tessa Thompson, Phylicia Rashad
Star Wars, The Fast and the Furious, James Bond, and Jurassic Park. These are some of the most popular franchises right now, and all of them have been going on for decades. And each installment has a massive amount of hype. Star Wars: The Force Awakens has had fan excitement surrounding it since plans for a sequel were rumored. So why does the resurgence of the Rocky Balboa franchise not get the same kind of attention? Is it because Creed is a different movie? It stars Michael B. Jordan as Adonis Johnson, the illegitimate son of champion Apollo Creed. And Stallone's role is reversed. Rocky is the trainer now, in the same sort of role that Burgess Meredith played as Mickey in the original. Creed wasn't even on my radar until months after the trailer hit the web, and even then I didn't want to go out of my way to see it. But I read some reviews that said it was phenomenal. Totally transcendent of all Rocky films before it, and that it successfully passes the torch along as well as coming full circle. After seeing it, I cannot recommend this movie enough. It really is a fantastic movie, with all-around great acting, and a great story.
First, I just have to talk about Sylvester Stallone. This is a performance worthy of an Oscar. Ridiculous right? Stallone, an Oscar winner? Creed gets its name from "The Master of Disaster" and his son, but it's "The Italian Stallion" that steals the show. If you've seen the other films, you know the tough place Rocky is in. He's grieving. He's broken. And he wants to see Adonis succeed, but he's not willing to fight himself. I'd go as far to say the movie is equally about Rocky's emotional fight than it is about Adonis Creed's actual boxing fight. I don't want to give away ANY spoilers, but his story will rip your heart out. Michael B. Jordan is also great in the title role. I've seen Jordan in good movies and bad movies. This is probably the best I've seen him so far, as he's re-teamed with Ryan Coogler, his Fruitvale Station director (an indie movie I'd strongly recommend) so it's clear they make a good team. Phylicia Rashad nails her supporting role as Adonis' adoptive mother. She's not in the movie a lot, but her presence can be felt even when she's off screen. I was also impressed with Tessa Thompson, who plays Adonis' love interest. I thought she came off very well, and didn't seem clichéd at all, which was what I was expecting from a movie like this.
Creed is much more than just great acting. Every scene is filmed with perfection. The boxing matches are brutal to watch. I've seen many a sports movie, and I've never really felt like I was in the ring with the fighters. Every bloody spit and every punch can be heard and felt. That sounds a little off-putting, but it adds to the experience, trust me. One scene where Adonis is punched in slow motion was simply enthralling to watch (even though it was at his expense a little) and other scenes are filmed with cameras spinning around characters as they embrace. It's obvious Ryan Coogler is fit to take the franchise in his hands. I'd even be content if he ended it right here. I cannot throw enough praise on this movie. This came straight out of left field for me, and I cannot wait to see it again. A definitely deserved Oscar contender. I'll either be celebrating or complaining come awards season, because I'm rooting for Creed.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment