Saturday, March 4, 2017

Split Review

Starring: James McAvoy
Split was a surprise success. I saw the trailers and I was mildly interested. Then like a perfect a storm, it become an overnight hit. In the dismal month of January, Split, a thriller about multiple-personality disorder, became a blockbuster. So I had to see it. I had friends tell me it was great, so I had pretty high expectations. Thus comes the problem with expectations: there is always a chance of disappointment. Split is a perplexing film. It's very good until the ending, which threatens the entire film. Yes, that is how awful I thought the ending is. The clever Shyamalan twist we've come to know and love in films like The Sixth Sense is nonexistent, with an oddly placed twist at the film's close. James McAvoy does an exceptional job. His ability to play multiple characters within a character is a peak in his already illustrious career. He's also basically the only character in the film, which means his talents are on full display. The female lead is not very compelling, and the focus is mostly turned towards McAvoy.
Split is an extremely tense thriller. The layers in the film are reminiscent of the multiple personalities of the main character. To have McAvoy be the protagonist and not the antagonist is a bold move. As a viewer, you never hate him. You actually feel for him as you follow along on his journey. An argument could be made that McAvoy isn't the protagonist, as his captive prisoner Casey is the more conventional horror movie lead. She also has a pretty tragic backstory, and the audience sympathizes with her. Then there is Dr. Fletcher, played by veteran stage actress Betty Buckley. Buckley previously worked with director M. Night Shyamalan on the horrible piece of trash The Happening (if you haven't seen it, consider yourself lucky) so it's great to see her working with the same director in a good role. She is subjected to some of the weirder lines in the film, and I'll address that below. Split is at its best when its at its most intense. The pace never lets up for the first 2/3, and its a constant guessing game for the viewer. I was trying to figure out what was going through McAvoy's head just like Dr. Fletcher was. I was taking careful notes of every scene, and I appreciated how smart Split was. That is, until the final act, where I felt it went off the rails.
I almost let the ending ruin Split for me. I had to really force myself to recognize how great the rest of the film was, and not let the ridiculous final act spoil a good film. I've talked with people who thought the ending was fine, but it was just too preposterous for my taste. A movie that was rooted in dark realism just throws caution to the wind, and moves into unbelievable territory. The premise is that this man has 23 identities, and the 24th (aka "The Beast") will reveal itself. The Beast is an invincible superhuman, and it just demolishes all logic. I could stomach the Beast, but then, right when you think it's going to end, the action starts up again. And I found myself wishing the Beast would just die already. It becomes pretty campy, and not the kind of horror/thriller I had imagined. I just couldn't wait for Split to end so I didn't have to see any more of it.

Oh, and the post-credits scene is a reference to a film that isn't even relevant to modern audiences, so I have no idea what Shyamalan is trying to do or why he thinks it's a good idea.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment